This is a carefully curated list and I am only taking cancer related submissions for North Carolina programs and yoga and cancer research at this time. Based on past experiences, I do not take submissions from mesothelioma organizations.
North Carolina Cancer Resources
Yoga for Cancer Classes in the Triangle Area
Duke Health Cancer Services
UNC Lineberger Cancer Services
- Yoga for Cancer Self-Care Retreats
Quarterly offering on Saturdays from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm with Cheryl Fenner Brown
View for upcoming dates and more information
- UNC Lineberger Yoga for Cancer
Mondays, 2:00-3:30, UNC Wellness at Meadowmont, Studio A, 100 Sprunt Street, Chapel Hill, NC
Wednesdays, 2:00-3:30, UNC Wellness at Meadowmont, Studio B, 100 Sprunt Street, Chapel Hill, NC
Fridays, 10:00-11:30 am, Wholistic Health Studio 1000 Hackberry Ln, Durham, NC
Call 984-974-8100 or 919-966-9519 for more information
- Raleigh Yoga Center Yoga for Cancer
619 Oberlin Road, Raleigh NC
Mondays, 12:00-1:15 pm
Thursdays, 6:15-7:30 pm
Register through Laura Woodall or call (919) 618-1396, pre-registration strongly recommended
$5 donation is appreciated for Monday's class, Thursday's class is offered through a grant from You Call This Yoga.
Duke Health Cancer Services
- Duke Women's Cancer Care, 4101 Macon Pond Road, Raleigh, NC 27607, (919) 781-7070
- Duke Cancer Center, 20 Duke Medicine Circle Durham, NC 27710
- Duke Health Support Groups, firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-684-4497
- Patient Support Coordinator, Mardie Gibbs, email@example.com, (919) 785-4905
- Support Group Facilitator, Susan Schneider, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patient Navigator, Valarie Worthy, email@example.com
- Patient Navigator, Xiomara Boyce, firstname.lastname@example.org
UNC Lineberger Cancer Services
- Lineberger Cancer Center, 450 West Dr, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, (919) 966-3036
- Patient Navigotor, Betsy Blanton, email@example.com
- Caring House, A home away from home for patients and their care-givers, 2625 Pickett Road, Durham, NC 27705, (919) 490-5449
- Cornucopia House, A place where anyone touched by cancer can find support and resources to live life to the fullest, 20 West Colony Place, Suite 220, Durham, NC 27705, (919) 401-9333, firstname.lastname@example.org
Northern California East Bay Cancer Resources
This list of wellness practitioners was compiled by recommendations from students in the Living with Cancer yoga class in 2008-2010 and from the Yoga for Cancer classes at the Cancer Support Community in Walnut Creek in 2011-2015. The local services are mainly in the Northern California East Bay area.
East Bay Cancer Organizations
East Bay Support Groups
Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- The Cancer Support Community of the San Francisco Bay Area, 3276 Mc Nutt Avenue, Walnut Creek, CA 94597, (925) 933-0107, www.cancersupportcommunity.net
- Carol Ann Read Breast Health Center, Summit Campus, Providence Pavilion, 3100 Summit Street, Ground Floor, Oakland, CA 94609, (510) 869-8377, www.altabatessummit.org
- Charlotte Maxwell Complimentary Clinic, 610 16th St., Suite 426, Oakland, Ca 94612, (510) 601–7660, www.charlottemaxwell.org
- City of Hope, Cancer Research Hospital, 1-800-826-HOPE, www.cityofhope.org
- Commonweal, PO Box 316, Bolinas, CA 94924, (415) 868-0970, www.commonweal.org
- National Lymphedema Network, 116 New Montgomery Street, Suite 235. San Francisco, CA 94105. 1-800-541-3259. www.lymphnet.org
- Women's Cancer Resource Center, 5741 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, CA, (888) 421-7900, www.wcrc.org
- Yoga Bear, Cemile Armas, Chapter Director, www.yogabear.org
East Bay Support Groups
- Robin Criner, Kaiser Oakland Patient Coordinator, (510) 752-2016
- Kathleen Colloton, COMPASS coordinator, Sutter Health patients only, (510) 869-6628, CollotK@sutterhealth.org
- Free Therapy Program through Women's Cancer Resource Center, Connie Holmes EdD, (510) 898-0548, email@example.com, www.connieholmes.com
- California Local Breast Cancer Support Groups & Resources, www.a-zbreastcancer.com/rsg/support-groups-ca.htm
- East Bay Cancer Support Group, www.ebcancersupport.org
Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- Jill Chen, MD, Accupuncture/Chinese Medicine/Internal Medicine/Integrative Oncoloty/Pain Management, 1844 San Miguel Drive, Suite 301B, Walnut Creek, CA 94596, (925)330-9650, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.cheneastwestclinic.com
- Jorge Nunez-Adler, MS, Acupuncture/Herbalist, (510) 682-8030, 3523 Meadow Street, Oakland, CA 94601
- Michael Brofman, Acupuncturist/Herbalist, (sees only cancer patients)
San Anselmo, CA, (415) 485-0484
- Amy Lee, L.Ac, Acupuncture & Chinese Herbal Medicine , 2320 Woolsey Street, Berkeley, CA, (510) 486-1988, amyleeacupuncture.com
- Joshua Muscat, Herbalist, San Francisco Botanical Medicine Clinic, (415) 759-1886, email@example.com, www.sfbmc.org
- Jill Stevens, L.Ac, Acupuncture, Whole Family Wellness Center, 5901 Christie Avenue, Emeryville, CA 94608, (510) 851-3006, www.yourwholefamilywellness.com
- Jenny Crissman, Integrative Healing, 6536 Telegraph Ave, Suite A201, Oakland, CA 94609, (510) 595-0700, www.jennycrissman.com
- Jennifer Sweeney, CMT, Oncology Massage, Makes in-home visits, (510) 414-0586, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ruth Peizer, Massage Therapist, lymphatic drainage , (510) 612-8784, email@example.com
- Nancy Velez, Every Bodyworks Massage, (925) 286-6727, firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Sedalnick, Certified in Asian Bodywork Therapy (makes in-home visits), 1611 San Pablo #6B, Berkeley, CA, (510) 407-6697, email@example.com
- Ron Mutch, DC, Chiropractor/Nutritionist, (510) 523-1221, 2515 Santa Clara Avenue, Alameda, CA 94501, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.radiantlifechiropractic.com
- Julie Orman, DC, 2831 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland , CA 94609. (510) 654-2399, www.julieorman.com
- Barbara Hoffer, Breast Cancer Survivor/Thriver & Certified Post Surgery Rehab Specialist and Pilates Instructor, (510) 985-1861, www.pinkribbonpilates.com
- Alex Jacobs, Music for Healing and Transition, Soundscaping for events, yoga classes, parties, gatherings, rituals & hospice, (510) 981-1330, www.LexJacobs.
Other Cancer Resources:
Books & CD's
- Cancer Guided Imagery Program, by Steve Murray - The book also helps you prepare mentally, emotionally, and physically for cancer treatment and recovery, helps you reduce and relieve side effects, and helps lessen fear and stress of cancer treatment.
- Cleansing Waters: Pura Vida CD by Vicki Richards - Guided spoken imagery and gentle ambient instrumental music for use during chemotherapy and recovery.
- Getting Well Again, by Dr Carl Simonton - Based on the Simontons' experience with hundreds of patients at their world-famous Cancer Counseling and Research Center, Getting Well Again introduces the scientific basis for the "will to live."
- Healing Yoga for Cancer Survivorship DVD by Cheryl Fenner Brown -
- Healing Yoga Nidra CD by Cheryl Fenner Brown - Guided meditation technique for insomnia and pain management.
- The Advantages of using Yoga as Complementary Therapy for Cancer - A wonderful article on how yoga helps cancer patients
- National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine - Yoga programs and research
- Natural Cancer Strategies - A report of effective, natural cancer strategies
- Association of Oncology Social Work - This Web site is designed as a resource to learn more about Oncology social work and the organization.
- American Childhood Cancer Organization - The largest national, grassroots organization standing at the forefront of the battle against childhood cancer.
- The Annie Appleseed Project - Natural cancer therapies and research.
- Association of Cancer Online Resources - ACOR is a unique collection of online cancer communities designed to provide timely and accurate information in a supportive environment. It is a free lifeline for everyone affected by cancer & related disorders.
- Carcinoid Foundation - This Web site includes a review of carcinoid disease written for the layperson, information on carcinoid cancer support groups and upcoming professional conferences, abstracts from peer-reviewed publications, and links to related Web sites. The Carcinoid Cancer Foundation is a not-for-profit organization.
- Cathy’s EC Café - Ccontains information gathered by esophageal cancer patients and non-medical caregivers. The purpose is to help others that are coping with esophageal cancer, possibly for the first time, to gain insight into this disease.
- Colon Cancer Alliance - The Colon Cancer Alliance is an organization of colon and rectal cancer survivors, caregivers, people with a genetic predisposition to the disease, and other individuals touched by colorectal cancer.
- Cord Blood Banking - Information about banking baby's cord blood stem cells which may help treat cancers, blood, metabolic and immune disorders.
- Cord Blood Guide - Cord blood treats over 80 diseases including leukemia and lymphoma. Donations are painless and are being used to save the lives of children and adults around the world. Learn more in our free downloadable guide.
- Cutaneous Lymphoma Foundation - The Cutaneous Lymphoma Foundation is an independent, non-profit patient advocacy organization dedicated to helping patients with Mycosis Fungoides, Sezary Syndrome and other forms of Cutaneous T-cell Lymphomas
- Doug Bank’s Testicular Cancer Resource Center - The Testicular Cancer Resource Center is a charitable organization devoted to helping people understand testicular and extragonadal germ cell tumors.
- Healing Journeys - A non-profit organization whose mission is to support healing, activate hope, and promote thriving.
- Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative - The Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative publishes the Electronic Sarcoma Update Newsletter (ESUN), a peer-reviewed bi-monthly online publication for sarcoma patients, caregivers, survivors, oncologists, nurses and other members of the medical team.
- Life Raft Group - The Life Raft Group (LRG) is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization providing support, through information, education, and innovative research to patients with a rare cancer called GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor).
- Macmillan Cancer Support - Millions of supporters, professionals, volunteers, campaigners and people affected by cancer in the UK.
- NorCal Carcinet - Helps those with neuroendocrine tumors and carcinoid to share challenges and experiences, learn about prognosis and treatments, find information and improve communications between the medical community, patients and caregivers.
- Sarcoma Alliance - The Sarcoma Alliance (www.sarcomaalliance.org) mission is the education, support, and guidance of people affected by sarcoma.
- Steve Dunn’s Cancer Guide - Created and maintained through the efforts of a cancer survivor, CancerGuide has links to a variety of cancer information resources and offers advice about using the information retrieved.
- The Simple Dollar - 'Paying for Cancer Treatments – Personal Loans, HSAs, and More' article by Brian Roboson.
- Tuck - An in-depth guide to the latest research on sleep and cancer; the sleep-related side effects of common cancer treatments; and ways to get a better night’s sleep while dealing with daytime fatigue, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, and other symptoms that patients with cancer might experience.
- Wendy Sheridan's Bladder Cancer WebCafe - Bladder Cancer WebCafe is an online community for bladder cancer patients and those who care for them. It covers treatment options, chemoprevention guidelines, survivor stories, a support group, and more. .
- Cleaning for a Reason - If you know any woman currently undergoing Chemo, please pass the word to her that there is a cleaning service that provides FREE housecleaning - 1 time per month for 4 months while she is in treatment. All she has to do is sign up and have her doctor fax a note confirming the treatment. Cleaning for a Reason will have a participating maid service in her zip code area arrange for the service. 538 partners in 55 states
- Hair Alternatives, The Sharon Randolph Foundation, Stacy Hogg (818) 422-4174, Sherron Hogg-Harris (510) 719-3753, email@example.com
- LympheDIVAs™ LLC, Medically correct fashion for lymphedema, 239 Chestnut Street, 2A, Philadelphia, PA 19106, 1-866-411-DIVA