Chanting these sounds creates vibration in different levels of the torso. Rather than chanting loudly, reserve some of the energy for yourself by directing it inwards to create a stronger sensation of vibration. A slow and smooth exhale creates a smooth tone and builds control over the diaphragm and breath. Begin at the speaking pitch – for women A-G, for men C-E, It may be helpful to use this Online Shruti Box, or a tanpura app (TanpuraDroid, or iTanpura) which creates a drone with which to chant along.
Daily practice to increase sensitivity to the vibration in the specified body locations:
- Ah at the Heart - keep the mouth and throat open for the fullest sound
- Eh at the Throat – keep the mouth and throat open for the fullest sound
- Oh at the Belly – create a wide circle with the lips and draw the vibration deep into the belly
- Ee at the Head – create a wide smiling mouth to bring the vibration into the forehead and back of the head
- Uu at the Tail – push the lips forward to create a deeply resonant sound in the pelvis
- Mm at the Crown – keep the throat open and point the tongue toward the crown to resonate the anuswara the buzzing at the crown of the head.