This weeks practuce focuses on the feet which create the foundation for all of our physical experiences. Did you know that 25% of our bones can be found in the feet, that's a lot of joints held together by many small muscles, tendons and ligaments. Lets spend the week loving our feet and giving them some special attention!
Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
Stand with feet hips width apart (or toes together, heels slightly separated). Engage the muscles of the legs towards the bones. Draw the belly in and release the tail bone. Lift the chest and draw the shoulder blades down. Press the crown of the head towards the ceiling. Hold 10-20 breaths.
Therapeutics: Grounds the body and prepares for all standing poses, improves balance
Curl ring and little finger into palm, secure with thumb, extend index and middle fingers into V shape; point fingers toward the ground.
Benefits: Activates downward flowing energy in body
Practice Tips: Use when constipated or to ground
Inhale through nostrils, then exhale completely through nostrils and pause after the exhalation holding the breath out. The length of the pause should be comfortable to maintain.
Benefits: Calming, grounding, quiets the mind
This Week's Practice: Grounding the Feet
- Grounding cord medtiation
- Foot massage (top & bottom)
- Roll sole of foot on tennis ball
- Press 6 points along sole of foot into tennis ball from standing (center of heel, front of heel, center of arch, front of arch, ball of foot, toes)
- Supta Padangusthasana with feet against wall
- Supta Tadasana (with block between thighs)
- Vajrasana (with toes turned under)
- Tadasana (with block between thighs)
- Talasana (with Bhu Mudra)
- Stork Pose (with Bhu Mudra)
- Vrksasana (with Bhu Mudra)
- Padangusthasana (with foot on chair)
- Prasarita Paddotanasana
- Tadasana (with Bhu Mudra)
- Seated Rechaka Kumbhaka
- Instant Maui